1. Preparing for safe administration of medications to clients in assisted living facilities
2. Maintaining aseptic conditions
3. Understanding basic pharmacology
4. Facilitating client self-administration or assisting with medication administration
5. Following proper procedure for preparing, administering, and maintaining medications
6. Following appropriate procedures for documentation and reporting to the licensed healthcare professional on duty at the facility or to the client’s prescriber.
In order to enroll in the Medication Aide class, a student must have successfully completed ONE of the following:
a) Virginia Department of Social Services approved 40 hour Direct Care program
b) Virginia Medicaid approved 40 hour Personal Care Assistant (PCA) certificate
c) Virginia Board of Nursing approved Nurse Aide certification
All students are required to have completed CPR for the healthcare worker. This course is offered at a discounted price for students enrolled in classes at Moon River Nursing Careers.