Who can train to become a Certified Medication Aide?
In order to enroll in the Medication Aide class, a student must show completion of ONE of the following:
a) Virginia Department of Social Services approved 40 hour Direct Care program
b) Virginia Medicaid approved 40 hour Personal Care Assistant (PCA) certificate
c) Virginia Board of Nursing approved Nurse Aide certification
All students are required to have completed CPR for the healthcare worker. If a student does not have current CPR, this can be provided by Moon River Nursing Careers. Our students can save up to 50 percent off the market price for the CPR class.
How long is the Medication Aide training?
The medication aide training is 68 hours. It includes two practice tests; one on the written material and one on the skills section. When a student graduates from the Medication Aide training, he/she is ready to pass the Virgina Board of Nursing exam.
How is the training structured?
– 40 hours is classroom/lab training
– 8 hours is helping patients with self-administration of medication. This includes learning how to assist with administration of insulin.
– 20 hours is practicing skills at assisted living facility. This is done under the supervisor of your nursing instructor.
What topics are covered in the Medication Aide curriculum?
1. Preparing for safe administration of medications to clients in assisted living facilities
2. Maintaining aseptic conditions
3. Understanding basic pharmacology
4. Facilitating client self-administration or assisting with medication administration
5. Following proper procedure for preparing, administering, and maintaining medications
6. Following appropriate procedures for documentation. Learnng how to properly report to the licensed healthcare professional on duty at the facility or to the client’s prescriber.
Where can a Certified Medication Aide (CMA) work?
A Certified medication aide can work at an assisted living facility. There is a growing demand for healthcare professionals with this credential.
Is there a good job market for a Certified Medication Aide?
The Dept. of Labor Statistics projects an 11 percent increase in jobs through 2026. In summary, this is a great career path. While other occupations project a 7 percent job growth, there is great demand for certified medication aides.
How do I register for the Medication Aide training at Moon River Nursing Careers in Ashburn, Virginia?
Interested students should call Betsy at Moon River Nursing Careers at (703) 955-1811 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Arrange for a tour of our school and find out why this is the best place for Medication Aide training in Ashburn, VA.